I was looking for a dessert recipe to be delicious and at the same time, to fulfill the requirements of being white sugar and white flour free. After some attempts, I finally ended up baking the perfect healthy banana bread using millet and coconut flour, which got my family approval. You will love the flavor and texture of this bread, that can also be made part of your breakfast….. And yes, it is gluten-free!
Main Reasons to Avoid White Flour and Refined Sugar
Let me share with you why I am not “going with the crowd” when it comes to picking the ingredients on my desserts recipes:
Known as ‘White poison”, white flour is becoming a necessity for all of us, but it impacts our health drastically.
- During processing, all nutrients are lost. “Enriched flour” labels mean nothing but 3-4 vitamins at the cost of 10 vitamins lost.
- It releases sugar into your bloodstream quickly. Because of its high Glycemic index (GI), white flour consumption spikes up your sugar levels.
- During the refining process, all nutrients are removed, and it becomes acidic in nature. Over-acidity is one of the major causes of chronic inflammation,
- It is without fiber, it congests the system, slows down digestion creating a sluggish metabolism.
Problems occur when you consume too much added sugar — that is, the sugar that food manufacturers add to products to increase flavor or extend shelf life.
- It can raise blood pressure and increase chronic inflammation, both of which are pathological pathways to heart disease.
- It contributes to weight gain by tricking your body into turning off its appetite-control system because liquid calories are not as satisfying as calories from solid foods.
- It increases the chances of higher blood pressure, inflammation, diabetes, and fatty liver disease.
Getting the Best of Both Worlds.
You can still enjoy delicious desserts choosing the right sweeteners and good flours. Remember that consuming them in the appropriate amounts is the key to get its perks.
Consequently, the ingredients in this yummy banana bread provide so many health benefits that you will not hesitate in taking a slice as a snack or a like a grab and go meal!
- Ripe bananas: The brown spots on bananas indicate TNF (Tumor Necrosis Factor). TNF helps fight against abnormal cells in the body. Your body can easily break down the carbohydrates in ripe bananas, and they can even aid in digestion
- Millet Flour: It as a good source of some essential nutrients, including copper, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- Coconut Flour: It’s high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats and is free from wheat and other grains. It is also low in sugar, digestible carbohydrates and calories, and has a low score on the glycemic index.
- Organic 100% Pure Maple Syrup: Similar to the contrast between whole and refined grains, unrefined natural sweeteners like maple syrup contain higher levels of beneficial nutrients, antioxidants, and phytochemicals than white table sugar or high fructose corn syrup.
- Pecans: The healthy fats of pecan nutrition are powerful in the production of antioxidants, reduction of inflammation and merely provide a great-tasting addition to almost any dish.
- Raisins: Raisins contain healthy vitamins and minerals. They are also fat-free and cholesterol-free, high in antioxidants, and an excellent source of fiber.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: It is richer tasting and may offer health benefits you won’t get from the synthetic version. It is a powerful antioxidant, antibacterial and reduces inflammation in the body.
- Ceylon Cinnamon: Cinnamon can dramatically reduce insulin resistance, helping this vital hormone do its job.
Are you ready to try this recipe? There is no need for a mixer for this recipe! Clean-up is easy too. On your marks. Get set… GO!
BANANA BREAD WITH MILLET AND COCONUT FLOUR (GLUTEN-FREE)
10 minutes 45 minutes Makes one loaf
- 3 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cups mashed banana) The riper the bananas, the better the loaf will taste.***
- 1/4 cup of melted extra-virgin coconut oil.
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup 100% organic.
- 2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract.
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1 cup of millet flour
- 2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- Pecans and /or raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly oil spray your 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan*. In addition, cut 1 strip of unbleached parchment paper and cover the interior of the bread pan. This will help your bread lift out once it is baked. (You can use a cupcake pan instead).
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium-size bowl and set aside.
- In a different bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
- Finally, mix together all ingredients in one bowl until well incorporated. Note: Overmixing or mixing using beaters will create a dry and thick loaf.
- Add pecans and/or raisins if you want to and mix.
- Pour into the lined loaf pan (or into the cupcake pan using cupcake baking cups).
- Bake for 45 min (when using a loaf pan) or 30 min approx. (if using a cupcake pan). Remove from the oven insert a toothpick into the loaf. If it does not come out cleanly, return the bread to the oven for another 5 minutes and check again. Continue until the toothpick removes clean
- Take it out from oven and let it cool down 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
*Aluminum bread pan works the best. Glass pans are not recommended.
**Overmixing or mixing using beaters will create a dry and thick loaf.
***If you don’t have ripe bananas on hand, pre-heat your oven 250ºF and bake the bananas (with the peel on) over a tray for 15 to 20 min or until the bananas turn into a dark color. Be careful not to burn them.
**** Keep the banana bread in a covered container in the fridge to preserve its freshness. It usually can be consumed in the next 4 days.
STEP BY STEP PICTURES:
Step # 2
Step #3 & 4
Step # 5 & 6
Step #7, 8 & 9
IF YOU ARE MAKING BANANA BREAD MUFFINS:
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shop the cooking tools you will need for this recipe:
Checa la Receta del Pan de Plátano en Español aquí: