One of the common questions I am asked by family and friends when they know we eat quinoa as a substitute for white rice in our meals is: “How do you cook it?” The cooking directions on the package label usually recommend adding the quinoa to boiling water and simmer it until water is absorbed. During the last three years, I´ve been doing a lot of experiments in the kitchen with this seed coming up with my own version of this recipe. It is really simple, but the flavor is outstanding!
Check out the small details in the process described because they make a huge difference in the result:
DELICIOUS QUINOA RECIPE
- 2 cups of organic quinoa tricolor blend.
- 4 cups of water
- 1 Tbsp. of chicken broth paste (reduced sodium)
- ½ cup of chopped onion.
- ¾ cup of fresh chopped cilantro or 1 tsp. of cilantro dry leaves.
- 2 Tbsp. of butter.
- 2 Tbsp. of avocado oil.
Before you start:
1. There are more than a hundred types of quinoa. The final result will be based on the kind of quinoa you decide to use on the recipe.
2. Giving a light stir-fry to the quinoa is a simple step that contributes to that special flavor we want to get to the dish.
3. Using chicken broth (or vegetable broth) instead of only water provides quinoa with a richer taste. You can use homemade broth or the brand I recommend here.
4. Adding lots of cilantro is the key seasoning to get an outstanding result.
5. Topping the quinoa with butter brings all the flavors of the dish to work in harmony.
STEP 1. In a medium saucepan, stir-fry the chopped onions in the avocado oil during 3 minutes or until the color changes.
STEP 2. Add the uncooked quinoa and keep it moving for 5 more minutes.
STEP 4. Pour the chicken broth just prepared plus two more cups of water to the saucepan. (4 cups of liquid in total)
STEP 5. Add the cilantro to the quinoa. (You can use cilantro leaves powder if you don´t have fresh cilantro on hand).
STEP 6. Cover and bring to a boil in low heat. Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and you can see the little quinoa curlicues.
STEP 7. Turn off the heat and top quinoa with the butter.
STEP 8. Let it cool down.
STEP 9. Serve and enjoy.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Articles related to this post: