I need to admit how hard it was at the beginning trying to live without them until, after an extensive research and consideration, I realized that sweet potatoes could be a potential option for us if consumed in moderation and cooked properly. 🙂
“Sweet potatoes pack a powerful nutritional punch. In one medium spud, there is over 400 percent of your daily vitamin A requirement.” – Megan Ware rdn ld. (Medical news today, sep .2017)
ONE FINAL NOTE: Always keep the skin on! A sweet potatoes skin contributes significant amounts of fiber, potassium, and quercetin. Make sure you don´t peel it off,
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped.
- 1 Tbsp. of fresh thyme / or 1/2 tsp. of dry thyme
- 6 c. of chicken broth -or vegetable broth- (I love using this organic low-sodium option)
- 2 ripe yet very firm Bosc or Bartlett pears, peeled, cored & quartered.
- 3/4 c. of chopped celery.
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped.
- 2 large chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 c. of whipping cream low-fat (or greek yogurt if you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp. of avocado oil.
- 1 tsp. of organic turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp of nutmeg ground
- 1 tsp. of raw honey.
- 1 Tbsp. of lemon juice (one half lemon juice)
- 1/2 tsp. of sea salt.
- 1/4 tsp. of pepper
- Avocado slices to garnish
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and turmeric. Cook 2 more minutes, until fragrant.
3. Stir in chicken broth, sweet potatoes, pears, thyme & raw honey. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. (Sweet potatoes should be very tender.)
4. Using a blender, stick blender, or food processor, purée mixture (in batches, if necessary). Return mixture to the pot. Add the lemon juice, nutmeg & whipping cream. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
5. Mix the creamy soup and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and let it stand for 5 minutes more.
6. Serve it using avocado slices to garnish. Bon appétite!
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recommended articles about sweet potatoes benefits: